Sunday, June 2, 2013

Chipotle Chicken and Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Before the week of sweltering heat we've been having in NYC (ugh, 90 degrees? I'm not ready for this), we had a few day spell of cold, rainy weather that had me craving comfort food. We had recently stocked up on a ton of chicken breast when one of our local grocery stores had a huge sale and I had some sweet potatoes on hand so I knew I wanted to find a recipe for a really flavorful marinade for the chicken and mash some potatoes.

I found this delicious recipe for chipotle chicken that was packed full of flavor and spice. I was craving mashed sweet potatoes so I disregarded the roasted potatoes part of the recipe and cooked the chicken in a pan, not in the oven. Regardless of those changes, the marinade for the chicken turned out so well. 


The spice of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, the kick of smokiness from the cumin, the sweetness from the honey, and the warmth from the cinnamon were a great combination.


I also made mashed sweet potatoes using a really quick, simple recipe that really highlights the great flavor of the sweet potato itself. All I had to do was peel the potatoes, chop them up into one inch pieces, boil until they were fork tender, put them in a bowl with some milk (I always have almond milk on hand for cereal so I used that) and mash away.


Once they were mashed, I add a little salt and pepper and some ground ginger for a greater depth in flavor. This meal was exactly what I wanted on a cold, rainy day and I would definitely make both again!

No comments:

Post a Comment