Saturday, April 6, 2013

Foodgawker Night

Oh Foodgawker, my favorite food website addiction and biggest time waster. We have a love-hate relationship - so many delicious recipes that I can't wait to make in exchange for hours of non-productivity. If only I didn't love food so much than maybe I'd be able to have a bit more self control. I introduced one of my friends to Foodgawker and immediately warned her of what was to come. And as expected, a new addict was born! Based on our mutual love for the website, we decided to have a Foodgawker night and test out some new recipes.

First on the menu to celebrate the fact that it's Friday (finally!) is frozen sangria. Oh sangria, a delicious combination of fruit and wine. But who knew that adding sorbet into the mix could make this drink even more satisfying? Both the raspberry and blood orange sorbet blended nicely with the cabernet sauvignon to create a refreshing fruity drink, which is exactly what I wanted on a beautiful spring day. We also added in a handful of fresh strawberries for some texture. 


On to the main entree! I've never cooked with farro before so I wasn't sure what to expect when using it to make risotto. It took longer to cook than arborio rice, but the texture of the grain added a lot of dimension to the dish. It was a bit chewy with a nice bite, but never got to the point of being gummy, which can happen to arborio rice if it's cooked too long. The addition of beets, spinach and goat cheese really elevated the dish. The beets provided an earthy tone while the goat cheese gave a creamy, salty zing. I would definitely make this dish again, found here.



Lastly, dessert! I haven't made a dessert with so few ingredients and such decadence in such a long time. How many ingredients, you ask? Only three! And the most surprising of the three? Silken tofu. I had never heard of this type of tofu, never even seeing it in the grocery store. But I was in for such a pleasant surprise. The tofu made this mousse so creamy and velvety, and the Nutella added the chocolate hazelnut decadence. This will definitely be one of my go-to desserts!

Now you see it...
Now you don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment