Monday, September 30, 2013

My Favorite Turkey Chili

Over the past few years, Matt and I have compiled our own personal book of favorite recipes. Usually a recipe won't make the cut until we've made it a few times and both agree that it's something we'd want to keep in our regular rotation of dishes, ranging from crepes to tomato basil soup to peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies.

See the pot of chili hiding in the background?
One of my favorite fall dishes in our  recipe book is a really simple, but delicious turkey chili. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got the recipe from a few years ago so I will be including the recipe in this post, but I am definitely not taking credit for creating this recipe. It's just too good to not share with you all!


As the ground turkey and onions are cooking, you really start to get the first delicious smells from the kitchen. Right before I was going to add the beans, tomatoes, and mix of spices, Matt already told me that the apartment was starting to smell really good. Well, he was in for a treat seeing as the big punch of flavor and smell was about to come! 


I really love the smell and taste of all the spices in this chili. The combination offers a nice kick of heat and smokiness that transforms this dish from just a regular chili to one packed full of flavor. The kidney beans and ground turkey add a great texture to the chili, making it really hearty and perfect for a cool fall day. 


I always feel so happy and satisfied eating this dish. I feel like I should be at a campground, eating a bowl around the fire. Maybe that's because I was just at a campground a few weekends ago...oh, how I miss it already! Until I can make it back, I will enjoy this chili from the comfort of my own home and reminisce. And for all of you out there - enjoy! I can guarantee your stomach will be very happy after you've filled up on a bowlful of this chili!
My Favorite Turkey Chili

Serves: 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.

Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season with chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment