Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Thai Tea Ice Cream

Now that I have my ice cream maker, I keep dreaming up different flavors that might have some potential (or really won't) to taste delicious. Avocado? It's creamy so why not. Beets? A bit more questionable. Curry? I may have been watching Chopped tonight when red curry paste was one of the mystery dessert ingredients. 

My list could go on and on, but a lot of the time, my ice cream ideas come from one of my favorite beverages - tea! The options are never-ending - chai, matcha, jasmine, earl grey...I could keep going, but then you'd probably stop reading. All of this rambling brings to me to the point of this post - the most recent batch of ice cream I made! Thai tea ice cream. Doesn't that just sound delicious? The ice cream seriously tastes just like the drink, probably because all of the ingredients are more or less exactly the same.


While I was steeping the tea leaves (which I purchased at least six months ago if not more from a wholesale Thai store in Chelsea Market), next thing I knew my hands were bright orange. Be warned! As soon as the leaves mix with the milk, you've got a bright orange mixture that will stain anything in its path.


Despite the orange hands, this ice cream turned out just the way I was hoping, tasting just like the delicious beverage I can't help but order every time I go to a Thai restaurant. Matt and I ate all of it in one sitting. I only made a quart, but it really didn't seem like that much ice cream. Maybe the container I bought to store it in the freezer is just deceiving me into thinking there isn't much there...


Oh! I forgot to mention that I had used my ice cream maker a few weeks ago to make grapefruit tarragon sorbet. The pictures were less than exciting and the flavor was...interesting. I'm not sure tarragon is the best herb to use in frozen treats, but it was a fun experiment to try! It was just weird enough that I had to know what it tasted like. I think I'll stick to just grapefruit next time. On to the next frozen treat! I'm thinking match ice cream is next on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment