Saturday, December 13, 2014

Onion Tart

Well, hello winter! We have finally had some real snow and I'm loving it. Earlier this week, I went to Ingrid Michaelson's annual Holiday Hop show and it was snowing while we were waiting to get in - what's more perfect than that? I'm hoping that with the cold weather, the snow will continue. 


Last weekend, I was in the mood to bake some type of savory pie as I already had a pre-made pie crust in my fridge that I didn't want to go to waste. I came across this recipe for an onion tart that seemed very easy to make and didn't require too many ingredients. 


I started cooking down my onions, which unfortunately never caramelized. I'm not sure what happened because I cooked them for a long time to the point of where they should start turning that golden brown color, but apparently my onions just weren't feeling it. Once they were done cooking, I stirred in some plain yogurt, which I found online would be a suitable alternative for creme fraiche if you're not actually cooking it over high heat.


I filled the pie crust, gently folding over the sides and put on the egg wash to get a nice golden brown crust. The final product looked great and tasted delicious. The yogurt added a creaminess to the dish, while the thyme came through to add an earthy tone. The onions just melted in my mouth while having a nice crunch from the crispy crust. A very tasty tart indeed!


What's your favorite savory pie? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment